It’s been twenty years since Sex and the City, the seminal TV show about sex, female friendship, and the hustle and bustle of New York, aired for the very first time. 1998 was a time devoid of a thriving meme culture in which the writers of the show were certainly not thinking that a certain choice caption would get screenshotted and circulated widely out of context.
And definitely no one could have predicted that a Donald Trump cameo would be plastered all over the web two decades later when he’d become president… Or that BFF Miranda would be launching her own political campaign to run for New York governor.
Yet here we are in 2018, a totally different bizarro time that could never have been predicted in the more innocent-seeming days of the late 90s.
Even though the show’s 100% white cast was neither delicate nor woke in the face of racial discrimination or gender issues, they did pave the way for a lot of the fashion and female openness around sexuality that we see in the world today.
The girls also single-handedly began the cupcake trend with their Season 3 visit to Magnolia Bakery, and we have them to thank for killing the sugary cocktail formerly known as the Cosmo.
The internet recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Sex and the City’s pilot and in its honor, here are 20 of the most relatable moments of the show that withstood the test of time.
1. When a friend asks the group for advice.
2. When your eighth friend this year gets engaged.
3. When someone thinks they burned you but you know yourself too well.
4. When you force yourself to go out and “be social.”
5. When you still can’t let go of the fact you weren’t invited to the royal wedding.
6. When you’re trying super hard but nothing goes your way.
7. When you start to describe your culinary abilities.
8. When you set foot outside.
9. When you and your partner have nothing to fight about.
10. When someone asks about your fitness routine.
11. When your friends and you discuss your pastimes.
12. When you accidentally overreact.
13. When you’re absolutely over everything.
14. When someone asks after your friends.
15. When you’re almost 30 and make the mistake of Facebook-stalking your high school friends.
16. When you sit down for a date with a mansplainer.
17. When you live and breathe on this planet.
18. When you’re just trying for a chill weekend with the crew.
19. When someone thinks you’re so lucky to be living in New York.
20. When you always dress your cutest in the hopes of bumping into your crush.
Happy 20th, SATC! You gave us so much.